7 Benefits of talking to a counsellor over a relative or friend
- There is nothing as hurtful as hearing something that you confided in one person coming from someone else. The last thing you need is for your problems to be aired out in public. A lot of friendships and relationships have broken because of this. A counsellor keeps your information confidential.
- Therapists and Counsellors are trained to be good listeners. Many people are naturally bad listeners. Imagine pouring yourself out to someone and the next thing, they have taken over the conversation and are talking about their own problems.
- Sometimes it’s just easier to talk to a stranger than to relatives or friends.
- Therapists listen without judging you. The last thing you need is to be judged whilst you are actually struggling with something.
- Therapists are trained to deal with any issue under the sun therefore there is no need for you to feel ashamed or embarrassed to talk to them about anything.
- Therapists are neutral and do not impose their spiritual, religious, political and social beliefs on you. Friends and relatives may impose their beliefs on you.
- Therapists are patient, respect you and do not force you to talk about issues that you don’t want to talk about or issues that you are not ready for yet. They can only guide you gently but not force you.
If you need to speak to a professional counsellor, don’t forget to get in touch with Psyche and Beyond.
Whatsapp: +2761 853 0124
You can also follow us on Twitter, Instagram, Linkedin, and Tiktok for more mental health tips.